My name is Erika Tenney, and I am an artist at Desert Hippie Arts and an instructor at Paint Pour Academy. My grandmother was a professional oil painting artist, and she gave me a love for art. She gave my sister and me drawing classes during our time as children. As much as I loved watching her and her work, I quickly found that drawing and structured painting were not for me. When my kids were little, I started scrapbooking, and I found myself falling in love with mixed-media art. In 2017, I discovered acrylic pouring, and I loved how unpredictable this technique was and how enjoyable it was to experiment with the paint. I was hooked!
Desert Hippie Arts started as a family-based business at our kitchen table. I had so much fun creating art that I decided to start selling it at outdoor events and to close friends. The response was excellent, so I decided to offer in-person classes to show others how they can create their beautiful masterpieces. The in-person classes had a tremendous response, but they are limited to my hometown, Tucson, AZ. I decided to take the next step and offer online courses with additional information and techniques, such as Resin Art and creative gift ideas.
Collaborations & Publications
- How to Color and Dye Resin: Step-by-Step Tutorial (Video), written by Erika Tenney for AcrylicPouring.com, May 2020
- Acrylic Paint Pouring Techniques – Level 1: The Basics: A beginner’s step-by-step instruction guide for fluid art technique, written by Erika Tenney, July 2022
- Fall Holiday Home Decor: Resin Glass Vase and Matching Resin Tray, written by Erika Tenney for the Fluid Art Magazine, November 2022 issue
- OneDaySaving.com: Content and videos created using resin molds
Visit Erika’s Art Displays in Tucson, AZ
- Monsoons Tap & Grill, 6781 N. Thornydale Rd, Tucson, AZ, 85741 (520)219-0301: Bartop Renovation
- GMT Stoneworks (by appointment) (520)990-6830: Art displayed in the office hallway
- Infinite Prism Body Piercing, 4265 E. Broadway Blvd Suite 200, Tucson, AZ, 85711 (520)261-0023: Art displayed throughout the studio